We have the tremendous privilege each and every year to enter into our local schools in order to teach young people the saving message of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Most of us who read this have probably benefited from this ministry in our lives. In addition to this privilege is the knowledge that in our context the teachers and the students of the schools that we enter really appreciate this role that we have in the community. Here are five quick reasons that you should consider teaching Scripture:
- To inform children of the saving work of Jesus
- To provide pastoral care to young people, some of whom have no avenue for this
- To engage in a real way by serving God in this community
- To serve the community by making God known
- To build relationships with other members of the community, many of whom don’t know Jesus
I realise that this can be scary, but you don’t need to start teaching straight away. We always need helpers in our classes. However, there are some requirements that are important. If you would like to know more please speak to me about potentially serving in this way.