It is hard to imagine what it must have been like for Christians before the Bible was readily available as a printed book.
Until the invention of the printing press in 1450, most people didn’t have their own copy of the Bible, and they wouldn’t have had ‘pew’ Bibles like we enjoy.
This Sunday in our church we will be using for the first time our new Bibles, 50 large-print copies of the 2011 version of the New International Version (NIV11). These were purchased using some of the gift to our church from the estate of our late sister, Doreen Orange, and we give thanks to God for her generosity to us.
Our Parish Council has also decided to donate our old Bibles to Christians in Africa, through the ministry of the ‘Mission Aid Group’, an organisation championed in our parish by Gordon Orange.
Praise God for his word throughout the world!